Local & Domestic Outreach
There are more than 1,000 ways to give significant service in our region. Whether through tutoring, volunteering in one of our partner agencies, you can help us address local and domestic human trafficking, poverty, medical needs of the uninsured, hunger, intercity needs, mental health, and homelessness. Our team is ready to help guide you into the right opportunity that fits you!
- Focus Area 1: Sex Trafficking
- Engage the approximately 225,000 people trafficked through the United States annually, Houston being the #1 hub for this activity. Demand safer conditions for the children in our community, strengthen marriages by reducing the demand placed on the sex industry, and free children who have been forced into the trauma of having their bodies used as a commodity. Opportunities include government advocacy, going into spas and brothels to build relationships with enslaved women, encouraging recovering victims, and spending time with young girls at risk of being trafficked.
- Focus Area 2: At-Risk Children
- Engage children facing a labyrinth of obstacles impeding their chances at success in life. Breakdown the barriers to success that housing conditions, physical and mental health, education, and absent parents set in the paths of these children. Opportunities include mentoring, tutoring, organizing activities and meals for children at shelters, spending time with disabled children, and organizing after school programs for inner city kids.
- Focus Area 3: Families in Poverty
- Engage families battling to make ends meet due to living on fixed incomes, disabilities, or extenuating circumstances. Come alongside families in need through services like housing and utilities assistance, job support, food services, and medical services. Opportunities include volunteering at community food pantries, holiday programs, serving senior citizens, assessing and meeting medical needs, and volunteering for special community events.
- Focus Area 4: Prison & Re-Entry
- Engage those in search of hope in prison and those re-entering our community in search of a new start. Help inmates develop business plans and their confidence bringing hope for a different future. Stand with the powerless as they re-enter our community through education, training, and job support. Opportunities include facilitating small group studies in prisons, providing meals and fellowship for those transitioning back into our community, and providing business plan development for those incarcerated.
- Focus Area 5: Women in Need
- Engage marginalized women facing unique challenges in our community. Bring hope to young teens and unwed mothers facing a decision to terminate their pregnancies. Support single-mothers in their fight to secure a more stable environment for their children through continuing education. Provide critical support to mothers fleeing life-threatening abusive situations. Opportunities include counseling for pregnant women, child care, leading abortion recovery support groups, providing administrative support, organizing activities for children, and encouragement to single mothers.
- Focus Area 6: Adopt-a-block
- Engage the poor and powerless of Houston and our surrounding communities through the adoption of neighborhood “blocks” with the single purpose of showing them the love of Christ through frequent service and building of relationships over time.
Woodlands Church ministries:
- Hungry and Homeless
- Strives to use hot meals and a loving interaction to open the doors of hope to the homeless and struggling of our region.
- Helping Hands
- Exists to assist those in need with small home-related repairs.
- Job Support
- Exists to help Christians in career transition.
- Prison Ministry
- Exists to bring the hope of Christ to those who are incarcerated.
- Elder and Nursing Home
- Exists to touch the lives of senior citizens in our community.
- Seasonal Outreach
- Brings hope and encouragement along with basic necessities to many local outreach projects, including Easter meal outreach, Christmas Angel Tree, school supply drives, Thanksgiving feeding and more.
Partner Ministries (local and domestic)
- Interfaith of the Woodlands
- Offering everything from Medical clinic services to food pantry, jobs assistance, and much more, this local agency is very much part of us, and we seek to provide dozens of volunteers.
- A faith-based, volunteer-driven organization seeing over 550 clients for peer and professional counseling, pregnancy and clinic needs.
- Navajo Nation – New Mexico
- The Navajo Nation of Crownpoint, New Mexico continues to battle extreme poverty. Houses are deteriorating and there is no running water. Woodlands Church seeks to leverage relationship of the local churches to address the physical and spiritual needs of this desperate community.
- L.A. Dream Center
- Our students engage the poor of Los Angeles via the great work of the Dream Center. While there, they will do personal evangelism, children's ministry and community work.